Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mini Monster Mash

I'm feeling a bit dizzy at the moment, with five different projects underway (in addition to Flash classes & deadlines) & none of them quite scanner-ready.

So I decided to post this little doodle, completed while watching online Flash tutorials, in between taking notes on the stuff I needed to know. (Yes, I do take notes with a crow-quill sometimes! Call me antediluvian,* but it helps keep my calligraphic hand in fighting trim.)

I thought it looked a little like a particularly odd Halloween party.

I draw this sort of nonsense often-- it helps calm me down when my brain is boiling. You should see my college calculus notebooks. By the way, I firmly believe that doodling helps me concentrate. I caught no end of grief for it in school (even though I made good grades) but a couple of years ago I saw this study & felt vindicated. :-D

Hunt's flexible crow-quill pen & ink on legal pad, ~3"x4"

*This is actually a teaser for one of the pieces I'm working on!

2 comments:

  1. great article - I used to catch grief from my mom when she saw my doodles in notebooks, though my grades never suffered - now I feel vindicated too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike and I once did a whole series of finished / colored drawings derived from lecture and seminar doodles. Like you, I believe they can enhance concentration (and retention). I sometimes tease students about doodling, but I never require them to stop.

    ReplyDelete